|Technology : Advances in Radiation Therapy (RT) - Fact Sheet|
Advances in Radiation Therapy (RT) - Fact Sheet
- The modern day radiation oncology center in India offers 3DCRT, IMRT, IGRT, SRS, SRT, SBRT, Gated radiotherapy (BSRT), HDR brachytherapy, Image guided brachytherapy services, to a level that is available in USA or other western nations.
- Recent advances in treatment planning and delivery has made the radiotherapy far safer and has significantly improved the quality of life.
- The major impact of IGRT/IMRT of modern day radiotherapy is its ability to reduce severe complications. Ensuing improvement in quality of life and reduction in complication- management- expenditure may more than equal the higher amount spent on high tech treatment initially.
- Modulating the radiation dose to the irregular shape of the tumour, simultaneously reducing the dose to the normal tissues is IMRT.
- Checking the position of tumour & the normal organs just before or the delivery of radiation and changing the position of patient or the area of radiation, if required, online is IGRT.
- Introduction of IGRT was inevitable, once precision required for IMRT became a critical factor.